Georgalas Georgios (Derveni, 1887 - Athens, 20/8/1980)
Stoa "Hesiod"

He studied at the University of Athens (1902-06) and was awarded a Doctorate of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics in 1909. He was awarded the Rallio Prize. He was assistant and curator of Mineralogy, Geology and Physics at the E.M.P. He became a professor at the annexed schools of the Polytechnic (1906). At the same time he became curator of the Geological and Palaeontological Museum of the University of Athens. In 1920 he was elected Full Professor of Mineralogy and Geology at the Higher School of Agriculture and remained in this position until 1946.

In 1936-46 he was also Professor of Mineralogy and Petrography at the Athens School of Physico-mathematical Sciences , of which he was Dean from 1940 to 1941. He was a member of the Hellenic Thalassography Committee. He served as Inspector of Geology at the Ministry of National Economy. He founded the Geological Service in 1924. He participated as a designer in the construction of the Marathon Dam, made studies and provided expertise in water supply for villages and towns. He was a researcher of mineral deposits and made original papers on Greek bauxites, gold, hydrocarbons, natural gas and oil. Studies and observations on the volcano of Santorini. Published over 6000 articles and studies in scientific journals and in the press. He received international recognition from many institutes and geological associations and represented Greece in international conferences.

He was elected a member of the Academy of Athens in 1939. During the occupation he developed national action, participated in the founding group of the H.P.O.N., was elected member of the National Council of the Political Committee for National Liberation PEEA and took part in the first meeting in Koryschades in 1944, together with Mason N. Karvounis. Because of his activities after the war he lost his seat. He left for the USA and England for a long time. During the April dictatorship he resigned from the Academy of Athens.